[3.22-3.23 HC] Quill Rain HOAG Jugg Lives! ~4-6M DPS, 5k+ LGOH/sec. Feared Down 1 Portal. (Videos)

[Update 3.23] Couldn't have been a more perfect league to show off this build's strengths. Currently 96 (and still missing lvl 4 empower) and able to roll through the league mechanic at T16 and 2k+ empowered T16 content. Favorite moments have included facetanking triple empowered T16 harvest mobs with soul eater until they die. Also hit top of the hc delve ladder for the moment. Here are the updates:

1. Barrage of volley fire is an excellent upgrade that makes mapping much smoother, particularly when fully qualitied up.

2. Primal ascendancy is beautiful. I am currently using 30% chance for minions to get unholy strength for 4 seconds on kill (which is excellent for mapping as it has close to 100% uptime) and barrage projectiles have no spread (which is not necessary but is a solid quality of life upgrade).

3. With the new quality mod on Hoag, which gives a base 45 max virulence at 20Q, getting to 70 max virulence is now much easier and frees up 8 nodes for use on defenses on the tree. Or allows you to get to 75 max virulence without voices if you are softcore.

4. I have added in Divine shield, which grants a surprising amount of regen with only 100 ES, (which can help with lingering DOT effects once all mobs are gone) and sanctum of thought which, combined with the armour mastery, gives a total of -60% to monster crit damage. There is an armour&es mastery available after slotting Divine shield that applies 10% of armour to chaos damage. Given the high chaos damage content of the league mechanic, I highly recommend both capping chaos res and slotting this mastery.

5. The loss of the extra reservation from the helm enchant is adequately made up by using a small reservation jewel with uncompromising.

6. Presage is a cheaper annoint than Charisma and appears to be perfectly effective for our purposes.

7. My variation for 3.23 is also fully immune to or unaffected by shock and ignite (chill and freeze are handled hy our ascendancy). To accomplish this I use the appropriate essence to roll a stygian vise with 50%+ chance to avoid ignite and socket an abyss jewel making up the balance of that stat. I then get a total of 100% reduced effect of shock across three ordinary jewels that also have life and res.

8. Bonus leveling tip: starting at lvl 10, blink arrow of bombarding clones + Quill rain is FABULOUS for leveling. You can lvl to 30 and switch over to HOAG or even upgrade weapons periodically and level bombarding clones all through the acts, switching to HOAG at maps once you can already slot at least a couple of pure agonies.

I did my most recent character this way and felt leveling was much faster than usual. I basically blinked and flamedashed from lvl 10 to lvl 68 while the clones killed everything behind me.

In case you are unaware of this tech: selling any mirror arrow with an alteration orb will give you blink arrow of the same type and vice versa.

Current POB: https://pobb.in/z0fAv4l7EL8l

I'll try to get some video up later today or tomorrow. Enjoy.
-O

Original build guide follows:

So, I got tired of dying, like I sometimes do. And I went back to this old favorite build to see what I could do with it in TOTA. I am very pleased with the result and am happy to say it is fully viable. Replica Dragonfang's Flight and Honoured tattoo of the Hunter are nice buffs. The finished product looks different from the original and takes full advantage of the modern Jugg's bonuses to and from armour but the feel of play is the same: Walk up to the enemies and recover more than your full life per second until the scorpion kills them. Move very occasionally. Repeat.

Edit: Actually MUCH more than fully viable. HOAG can now be gotten past the key lvl 29 breakpoint while using a Quill rain set up. See first response for further details. With optimal gear and gems, can near or possibly exceed 6M/sec pinnacle boss dps.

Edit II LEVELLING GUIDE:
Spoiler

I have been so excited about the new possibilities at the top end that I originally neglected to post anything about how to get started. Another wonderful thing about this build is that it will function fine through maps and then some on just two required pieces of gear:

Quill Rain
Thief's Torment

It will also do that on nothing more than a pair of 4Ls--

HOAG>Pierce>Predator>(Minion damage/Damage on full life/Vicious Projectiles, depending on what color or stat is easiest)

Barrage>Chance to poison>LGOH>GMP (LMP until lvl 38) if 5L, add withering touch first, faster attacks only when 6L)

EVERYTHING else shown in the guide is a bonus to damage or defense and can be farmed up as you go once you have those first two (usually very cheap) pieces of gear.

When leveling without jewels, modify the tree to go north from the Marauder start to get the entire Gravepact cluster between Marauder and Templar. This will improve your leveling experience significantly. Other than that, get the nodes to make yourself tanky--life, rezzes, armour--until you can acquire the jewels that power your crawler and place them one at a time. Each pure agony you place will feel like a significant improvement to the crawlers dps.

You can also temporarily proceed from the Gravepact cluster down through Constitution then across Sentinel to Reflexes and past, continuing to the right to get the Charisma cluster (just below Supreme Ego). That and Sovereignty, plus the two reservation efficiency nodes leading to it, will allow you to reserve both your HOAG and Determination, which will make leveling feel -much- safer, but will require a bunch of respeccing late game to optimize the tree once you can anoint Charisma. If you are not already familiar with playing the build, I highly recommend this procedure.

Later you can choose to go with the 75% HOAG reservation helm enchant rather than the extra two spikes and use your amulet anoint for greater tankiness. This is a matter of taste.

Finally, until you get a Divergent Herald or an elder Quiver with chance to poison, you can consider going even further to the to the right, past the Charisma cluster, to pick up the two poison chance nodes in the Hunter's Gambit cluster (totaling 20%) temporarily. This is not required, but it will make the build feel significantly smoother while leveling. You can respec out of these once you have another source for the extra 20% poison chance. 80% chance to poison is quite sufficient for the build to be fully functional, although if later in the endgame you can get both a divergent Herald and an Elder Quiver with chance to poison (giving 100% total chance to poison) it will make everything feel even smoother, and will make the set of map mods giving monsters a chance to avoid being poisoned more trivial.

Stats at full build:
Spoiler

Life total: Roughly 5k.
Armour with flasks up: Roughly 100k.
Ele res 85/85/85
Chaos res: 75
Base Regen: Approx 400-600/second
LGOH: Approx 5200/second
Molten Shell: 5k with 5.67 sec duration and 2.86 second cooldown
Vaal Molten Shell: 10k with 17 second duration

Low investment Hoag: around lvl 25
Virulence stacks: 70
Pinnacle Boss DPS: Approx 2.3M

High Investment Hoag: Up to lvl 32/33
Virulence Stacks: 70
Pinnacle Boss Dps 5.5-6M

3.23 Video
Spoiler

1. LVL 29 Hoag vs. T16 Sepulchre with harvest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJ9FAUDOoU

3.22 Videos:
Spoiler

1. Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Sirus https://youtu.be/OsZ_3v03O40
2. Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Maven https://youtu.be/llDClze9am8
3. Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Uber Atziri w/ Trio Facetank https://youtu.be/YUnQH6uEngk
4. Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Shaper witnessed by Maven https://youtu.be/MXGNiN21X3g
5. Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Elder Witnessed by Maven https://youtu.be/G7Pf7895qh4
6. Lvl 29 Hoag vs. the Feared 1 Portal Deathless https://youtu.be/YTz2lAZOPkE

(That last one was my first ever success against the Feared!)

Gear
Spoiler

Upper end Helm:

Upper end Quiver:

For crafting the helm, start with an uninfluenced armour base of at least level 75. Roll with Bound, Pristine, and Dense fossils in a powerful resonator. Crafting a +1 Minion Helm is relatively cheap and easy. Crafting the +2 will take on average around 30 tries. We remove the chance to roll any defense or life to maximize our shot at the +2 Minion mod. Bench craft life afterward if possible. Annul and cross your fingers if not.

For crafting the quiver, start with an elder penetrating Quiver of at least lvl 75. We use penetrating because the one Pierce makes mapping somewhat smoother as our crawler gets to max Virulence faster. Roll with an aberrant and Aetheric fossil in a potent resonator until you get chance to poison. This method also gives a good chance of a life roll and chaos rez.

Jewels not pictured:
3 Large Minion 8 socket Clusters
6 Minion damage while affected by Herald 4 socket clusters, all with pure agony
7 ordinary jewels all with life, 3 with Minion accuracy, the rest with sufficient resists and stats with attack speed as an extra bonus.

For the pure agony jewels, I recommend buying 4 socket jewels of at least level 68 unrolled and spamming alts for pure agony. The 8 socket minion damage jewels for this build can be any level and are also best rolled with alts. You are not looking for any special nodes--mostly I have found it good to roll my jewels to fix stats and rezzes. These can be a great place to pick up a bunch of chaos rez particularly.

Gems and links:
Spoiler

Low Investment Herald of Agony (Divergent when possible)>Pierce>Predator>Minion Damage>Damage on full life>Vicious Projectiles

High Investment (Requires 3 or 4 White socket Triad Grips) HOAG>>Pierce>Predator>Awakened Minion Damage>Awakened Void Manipulation>Empower

In either setup, if you are less lazy about gem swaps than I am, you can swap in Vile Toxins for Pierce on bosses without a significant number of adds.

Barrage (lvl 1 or 2 to preserve mana)>LGOH>GMP>Chance to poison>withering touch>Faster attacks

Vaal Molten Shell>Phase Run>Inc Duration>Lifetap

Flame Dash>Cull>Lifetap

Convocation>Despair>Lifetap

Determination

Ascendancies in order:
Spoiler

Unstoppable
Unbreakable
Untiring
Unflinching

Bandits
Spoiler
Kill Them

Pantheon:
Spoiler
Lunaris/Ralakesh

Tatoos:
Spoiler

Enough Honoured doves to fill out chaos res.
As many more Tukohama Shaman as fit to help with base regen.
One Honored hunter (+1 dex gems)

POBs:
Spoiler

Lvl 25 Hoag https://pobb.in/Ah8My_GAb-Rn
Lvl 32 Hoag https://pobb.in/OofksFZOlOBG

I'll check back periodically in case folks have questions or comments. Good Luck!

-Orion
Dernière édition par Orion72, le 20 déc. 2023 14:57:11
Dernier bump le 4 janv. 2024 04:09:15
Today's discovery: With significant investment the build can be pushed dramatically further: HOAG increases in power by about 10% each level, but there are two huge jumps--the first is moving from lvl 20 to 21 where attack speed per virulence move from 4 to 5, adding a 25% more multiplier. The next big jump is from level 27-29 where first damage moves from 10% per stack to 11% per stack and attack speed per moves from 5% to 6%. These together supply another 32% more multiplier beyond the usual 10-11% per level. I had previously felt like this was unattainable with the Quill Rain set up, but If you put together:

Lvl 20 or 21 gem
+2 Minion Helm
+3 Dragonfang Amulet
+1 from Honored tattoo of the hunter
+1 from a lvl 5 awakened Minion damage
+1 from a lvl 5 awakened void manipulation (substituted for Vicious proj)
+1-3 from a level 2-4 Empower
(If you are playing in standard you can get a lvl 33 Hoag by substituting a lvl 5 Awakened Empower--I haven't seen any in hc)

You can break the level 29 Barrier with Hoag while using Quill Rain. I can't overstate the awesomeness of this, but I suspect anyone who has ever tried an earlier version of the build will surely understand. If the Dragonfang is unavailable, it is still possible to hit 29 if everything else is near optimal. In HC this would require exactly:

Lvl 21 gem
+2 Minion Helm
Lvl 5 awakened Minion Damage
Lvl 5 awakened Void Manipulation
Lvl 4 Empower
Honored Tattoo of the Hunter or +1 amulet

The Pinnacle bossing dps with this setup is:

Lvl 29: 4.5M/sec
Lvl 30: 5M/sec
Lvl 31: 5.35M/sec
Lvl 32: 5.64M/sec
Lvl 33: 5.95M/Sec

Here's the POB at level 32: https://pobb.in/OofksFZOlOBG

GGG has done a thing rarely done I think. They have given us back a version of a build I had thought lost (nerfed to death) forever that, with sufficient investment, is stronger than it ever was. I don't know how many people who used to play it will ever see this, but I am very, very excited right now and I hope that some of you do.

Good Hunting!

-Orion

Dernière édition par Orion72, le 20 déc. 2023 05:45:39
Three things:
1) How about Corruption notable and +1 to all Chaos gems. Loose 10% Life and ES when you use a Chaos skill Chaos mastery? We don't seem to spam Chaos skills...
2) What about Vile Toxins support for bossing? I can't imagine a single enemy having less than 8 Poison stacks.
3) What about Faith and Steel notable and 10% of Armour also applies to Chaos damage taken from Hits Armour/ES mastery? Seems niche, but also a nice round-up for an Armour-focused build.

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Dernière édition par Sarganis87, le 24 sept. 2023 01:46:33
"
Sarganis87 a écrit :
Three things:
1) How about Corruption notable and +1 to all Chaos gems. Loose 10% Life and ES when you use a Chaos skill Chaos mastery? We don't seem to spam Chaos skills...
2) What about Vile Toxins support for bossing? I can't imagine a single enemy having less than 8 Poison stacks.
3) What about Faith and Steel notable and 10% of Armour also applies to Chaos damage taken from Hits Armour/ES mastery? Seems niche, but also a nice round-up for an Armour-focused build.

1. I skip this because it is inefficient. To take Corruption and the associated +1 Mastery would cost a total of seven additional nodes. I feel these are better spent elsewhere if we can reach at least a lvl 29 HOAG another way.

2. Absolutely true. Totally valid gem swap for Pierce when bossing if you are so inclined. It is only laziness that prevents me from making use of this. Added this suggestion to the guide.

3. For almost all encounters this is probably overkill if we have 75% chaos rez without it. On the other hand, I just nodded off while playing and died to a chaos explosion series of ground effects. Which is tragic and probably preventable with that node. Or by playing a little less POE and getting more sleep :> I may have been obsessing a bit much this week. Time for a little enforced time off. May be worth experimenting with this idea I think.

[3.23 edit--this was actually a great idea for a chaos damage heavy league and I have absolutely incorporated it into the current version of the build. Many thanks! -O]

Appreciate the ideas. Feedback tends to improve the build as we go along.

Good hunting!

-O

Dernière édition par Orion72, le 19 déc. 2023 23:32:00
Completely failed at taking time off. Instead, went to Standard and got a few new videos added to the Guide that really showcase what the build can do bossing:

Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Uber Atziri w/ Trio Facetank https://youtu.be/YUnQH6uEngk

Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Shaper witnessed by Maven https://youtu.be/MXGNiN21X3g

Lvl 29 Hoag vs. Elder Witnessed by Maven https://youtu.be/G7Pf7895qh4

Lvl 29 Hoag vs. the Feared 1 Portal Deathless https://youtu.be/YTz2lAZOPkE

That last one is my first ever success against The Feared with any build!

-O
Dernière édition par Orion72, le 24 sept. 2023 08:47:39
Gratz on the feared kill:)
The build is amazingly tanky and the damage is definitely there to get
invitations and bosses down consistently.
I will definitely give it a go as
your old barrage hoag jugg was my first ever hc build that went beyond 90 and killed shaper,katarina 83 and other endgame encounters:D
Cheers!
How is the overall map clearing with that build? Asking as all your videos are from bosses.
Clearing with the crawler definitely has it's own rhythm to it, but I verified last night sufficient clear speed to succeed on a solo Chayula run without losing any time on the clock. I probably should have recorded and posted that. You can get a little sense of how it clears from the Uber Atziri run I posted, though I admit I was being a little sloppy and mostly zooming to the bosses. That said, it will never be a tornado shot--it's real focus is bossing. But the clear is good enough, imo, to level and map comfortably. ymmv.

-O
Dernière édition par Orion72, le 24 sept. 2023 14:19:57
"
killkarabill a écrit :
Gratz on the feared kill:)
The build is amazingly tanky and the damage is definitely there to get
invitations and bosses down consistently.
I will definitely give it a go as
your old barrage hoag jugg was my first ever hc build that went beyond 90 and killed shaper,katarina 83 and other endgame encounters:D
Cheers!

Yay! I was hoping that anyone who enjoyed the old version might find this guide. If you fully build out the endgame version, I strongly suspect you will not be disappointed. 😀

-O
Leveling guide has now been added. I might have gotten a little excited about the top end and skipped this the first time through. Fixed. Crafting discussion has also been added to the gear section.

-O
Dernière édition par Orion72, le 24 sept. 2023 14:55:03

Signaler

Compte à signaler :

Type de signalement

Infos supplémentaires