[3.23] Yaomac's Vaal Breach Bomber

Video guide
PoB
cost disclaimer
unfortunately the MF version of this build has gotten quite popular. so while I put this build together on a 5d-10d budget pretty easily, now each and every meaningful component is 15d+... it should hopefully be cheaper next league

I love this gem, but it's not always beneficial. And when it's beneficial, it's rarely usable when it matters.

One of the reasons why vaal breach is currently underutilized is its massive soul cost of 100. It basically means that in pinnacle boss fights, it's not going to be online unless your build is already plenty capable of handling the fight. It is possible to charge it up pre-fight with a soul ripper and some form of flask generation (The Traitor being a classic), but you really have to make that one use count to feel good about it.

Introducing our solution: Yaomac's Accord

Yaomac's accord got changed this patch, specifically Shepherd of Souls was updated to be
"
Your Vaal Non-Aura Skills have 80% less Soul Cost and have 100% increased Soul Cost per Vaal Skill you have used in the past 8 seconds.

Since we needn't use vaal breach multiple times at once anyway, the drawback of the keystone means nothing to us. I.e. instead of 1 vaal breach per boss, we now get 5.

Problem: Yaomac's isn't a very good weapon outside the keystone, especially not if we don't use vaal skills to deal damage.
Solution: You can carry more than one set of weapons. Vaal Breach cares not for which weapon set you cast it with. Swap to Yaomacs, cast vaal breach, weapon swap back to your main setup.

For the extra clowning, we equip a triumvirate authority. This takes our 5 vaal breach uses to 7+.

Additionally, the lockout time drops to just 25 seconds, often allowing us to recharge mid fight with another sip of soul ripper with little additional delay.

This represents hundreds of mobs consistently summoned on demand in any location.
We now just have to leverage that into damage.

There are a number of options to attempt that with, the standout ones being occultist with hexbloom and pathfinder with low tolerance poison spread. I actually was quite close to picking pathfinder utilizing the new viper strike of the mamba to create a single massive poison, then spread it across hundreds of breach mobs, who then spread it back onto a boss, but I really wanted to try something I had skipped out on last league: the explosions from Hinekora, Death's Fury.

And that's the build. Make vaal breach usable in boss fights. Vaal breach on top of bosses. Kaboom.

Feel free to run with the concept from there with whatever iteration you want, the rest of this post is going to be going through how I put together my chieftain in particular, but so long as you have those three items, you have the build up and running.

Defensive package
So the first thing you'll notice when you pop 3 vaal breaches right on top of each other is that it spawns a lot of breach monsters.
The second thing you'll notice is the "revive" popup because you just spawned three breaches worth of monsters on top of yourself.

To remedy this, we first recognize that chieftain is naturally tanky if we stack phys taken as ele & max fire res. With +5% max fire res from level 23 purity of fire, +4% on tree, and 3x +2% on charms, we quickly hit the 90% cap for all our elemental resistances. We then equip Cloak of Flame and Dawnbreaker to take 60% of physical damage as fire damage. These two items notably affect degens too, not just hits, so are especially effective. Viridi's Veil along with a magic ring make us take none of that deadly spike damage from crits. With leftover resevation, we can turn on Arctic Armour to further mitigate physical and fire damage, and we also equip a ruby flask to go even further. We also have 5 (6 with a corruption) endurance charges which are generated both on kill and when hit, giving us great uptime there. The only thing left is chaos damage, and in most cases just capping it is good enough. These together make us incredibly resilient against oneshots.

To prevent a death by a thousand cuts, we equip Defiance of Destiny and turn on Petrified Blood with at least 30% recoup. This combo is truly absurd and I consider an auto include on any build that uses life and doesn't have a build defining amulet. Petrified Blood, assuming you take the low life mastery and enough recoup to offset the degen, cuts your maximum hit taken to 91.67% of your max hp. A bit of a loss, but not too bad considering what we get out of it. In return, it makes all recovery (other than the 30% recoup reserved to offset the degen) 67% more effective against hits. This is pretty good just in general, but is stellar with Defiance of Destiny. Any hit that deals less than 70% of our maximum unreserved life will heal us. A hit that deals 71% will not kill us outright, just tickle a bit. 80% starts to be noticeable but is still reactable. At 90% it's starting to hurt again, and at 92% we outright die. In order to die from a thousand cuts, we'd need to take >70% of our maximum hp as a hit post mitigation... many times in quick succession... without being healed in the interim, which can happen from anything else hitting us for <70% of our maximum hp... It's not true "oneshot or survive" but it's quite close given how little investment it takes to achieve.

The last little bit of the defensive package is just a some sauce on top. Annihilation's Approach prevents chill and freeze. Unwavering Stance prevents stuns. We take CB immunity via the mastery since nobody was selling a good enough CB jewel. We also put a cwdt molten shell in to fill out some leftover sockets, which isn't the most impactful with our Defiance of Destiny setup, but is still good to have. My Berek's Respite is also corrupted with poison immunity, which is handy. And my pantheon grants resistance against bleeding damage which is mandatory as breach mobs like to puncture you.

my defensive gear

Indisponible
Indisponible
Indisponible

my defensive gems

Aura setup (in Viridi's Veil with an enlighten if possible):

Other buffs:

Map clearing package
So while having a pure bossing character is great, I wanted to have this character be at least somewhat capable of fighting his way through some wisp-empowered maps. To that end, we look to the 3.22 chieftain classic: Fulcrum self ignite.

Without the ability to stack explosion chance tattoos, the consistency of the setup is worse, but you best believe it still works at the end of the day.

The engine is thus:
1) Flameblast a pack of mobs (if no pack exists, consider using vaal breach to make one).
2) The enemies are ignited.
3) Fulcrum reflects that ignite back onto you (you are unaffected but not immunte thanks to Tasalio, Cleansing Water).
4) Your gloves cause that ignite to spread in a radius of 1.7m around you.
5) Run at enemies and stand near them to burn them.
6) The die.
7) Some of them explode.
8) That explosion ignites everything nearby since it's huge.
9) Go to Step 2.

The ignite on you lasts a solid 9-10 seconds, so you have plenty of time to run from pack to pack to keep the engine running. If the ignite ever runs out, restarting it is simple, especially with 5 uses of vaal breach at your fingertips.

To boost the damage, we wear Annihilation's Approach which grants us adrenaline, and stack fire damage and fire dot multi on tree.

To boost visual clutter (and consistency in sparse maps), we take AoE per endurance charge on charms to make the explosions massive.

To boost our chaining consistency, we ring swap to Berek's Respite and stack ignite duration on tree and on our Cloak of Flame. We also juice up our movement speed modifier via adrenaline, phase run, & a quicksilver flask to allow us to run from pack to pack before the ignite timer runs out. We also gain onslaught on kill via our timeless jewel.

If you really want the chains to feel consistent, get explosion chance on your charms and on the new jewel. They'll be a bit more expensive, but with three charms and a jewel, you're looking at 80% more explosions, which will make it harder to drop the loop in sparse maps or when you roll poorly.
my map clear gear

my map clear gems

Flameblast:

Yes. I use a 4-link flameblast. We only ever have to kill random white mobs with it since our main source of damage comes from the engine, so spending the fusings to link my chest felt like a waste. If you're using flame blast on rare enemies for anything other than the infusion buff, you've made a mistake.

Update: I swapped inspiration for lifetap which felt much better in reduced recovery maps. I also 6 linked my chest, which helped with getting the first pop going in t17 valdo maps as well as mega delirious maps. However, in t16 expedition & blight mapping, the extra links seemed to make (basically) no difference in smoothness nor speed. The 4 link was used on uber maven, for example. You only need it when the random trash mobs are delirious, wisped, and ghost touched enough to shrug off the 4l flameblast.

Movement:

content this is good at

Breach. You get an ignite going then can just full tilt sprint along the edge of the breach circle to keep it up, instakilling everything that spawns and moving fast enough to open all the breach hands. The denser, the better.

Expedition. Extremely dense mechanic, so a single explosion will often chain through the entire encounter and kill everything at once. Since expedition mobs can get tanky, I recommend using a vaal breach just before detonating to spread a few weaker enemies around. This guarantees you have something to start the engine with as well as makes it easier for the explosions and ignites to spread through the entire area.

Legion. Sorta like expedition as far as strategy goes, but less densely packed which can make chaining explosions harder when you roll poorly.

Ultimatum... kinda. You're tanky enough to just sit in the circle and take a nap. Unfortunately ultimatum mobs don't leave corpses around for very long, so your prolifs are weak, and the enemies aren't dense enough (without the small arena modifier) to keep an explosion chain going forever. However, you can always just pop a vaal breach to get it started again. Not the fastest cleartime for the mechanic, but you'll rarely lose, so its consistent in a time when most other builds pray for forgiveness for even thinking about talking to the trialmaster.

Ritual. Like ultimatum but without the complaints about chaining explosions being difficult.

Blights. %hp explosions & self-spreading dots are king in blight. This build has both.

Harbinger. So long as the harby keeps summoning, the enemies will keep exploding. The prolif here isn't great, but they summon so tightly packed that the little 1.7m radius around your character will be enough.

Simulacrum. Not going to get a ton of rewards, but you can basically afk the waves then vaal breach bomb the bosses.

map-clear-centric valdos maps I've done

Savage Trap Underground Sea Map
Destiny Haven Cemetery Map
Dark Ziggurat Crimson Temple Map
mod list images

Boss killing package

All of our single target comes from Hinekora, Death's Fury. As such, our boss killing package is the Yaomac's tech mentioned above used to put a single massive ignite onto the boss then keep it going forever. To that end, we have Yaomac's in the weapon swap, and a Flammability curse inside it. We pop vaal breach, gather up the otherwordly invaders, stack our buffs, and pop as many as possible on top of the boss. Hopefully you prayed to Hinekora recently and they bless you with at least one explosion. From there, your life is easy. With the defensive package, you are capable of standing still and face tanking most mechanics, which is great since enemies will have -20% to fire resistance against our dot while we're standing still. Just in case we have to move, we do include a bit of resistance stripping, but we try to stand still for as long as possible. Once in a while, we refresh the duration of our ignite using the curse notable "Defiled Forces" by casting flammability. We can also debuff the enemy a bit with infernal cry for a bit of extra damage through the ash it applies.

The only thing I haven't mentioned yet is the belt. Just get high life and enough flask mods to keep your juice active 24/7.
my boss killing gear

my boss killing gems

The Hard Carry:

Buffs:

Debuffs:

bosses killed
king in the mist
all maven invitations
all pinnacle bosses + uber elder
uber maven
uber eater
uber exarch
uber venarius

tips for each fight I've done

venarius: just get lucky on map mods xd. if it rolls ignite immunity you're ultra fucked. otherwise the fight aint bad. have to dodge the phys degen puddles but everything else is standard operation.

maven: pop vaal breach then wait until she teleports to actually go for the ignite. too many times, I grouped up all the breach mobs on top of her, charged the blast, only to have her warp away. do not pop vaal breach until you know she's not going to tell you to stand still since the cast time is a bit too long (or bring a cast speed on flask). tank the bosses spawned during the memory game so you have a chance of popping them on top of maven later. use vaal breach before entering the last tile of the memory game to get it expanding early. if your recovery gets disabled, good luck; best to not let that happen at all costs. i recommend dumping the degen puddles in the middle for this build. brain phase is easy, no notes.

exarch: the only thing that can kill you in this fight is the degen floor tiles & the nuke. unfortunately, the tiles are VERY hard to see under breach effect; just keep the peepers peeled and watch where they're snaking to. otherwise ez pz. near the end of ball phase, pop your vaal breach so all the enemies are spawned & grouped up right in the middle as exarch re-enters the fight.

eater: have to dodge the slams and the drowning balls. You can tank a beam, but I think the top roll of damage (if it happens through unlucky from ring) can bonk ya so I would just flame dash to avoid it. otherwise easy fight. pop vaal breach before charging the last sphere to get enemies grouped up once eater's targetable again.

Non-uber content doesn't do enough damage to be too threatening, so those are all easy enough once you get into the rhythm even with the jank.

Uber fights are doable once you're used to them and identifying the times when it's safe to pop a vaal breach, but they're not not easy if you've not practiced the fights.

I figure I can get uber shaper down too since he doesn't have any abilities that can hurt me, might do it once I'm done with everything else.

Ooba Ooba Elda might be a bit hard since the phys degen from elder's squid things aren't so easy to manage as this build. We basically have to flameblast them as they spawn since we can't afford to pop vaal breach that often. Everything else in the fight is very tankable.

Uber Sirus can smell the frumunda though. He teleports a lot, goes immune, dunks on recovery, prevents easily stacking up enemies on top of him, and is an all around pain to fight. Maybe doable if you're a god gamer, but I'm not going to even try tbh.

single-target-centric valdos maps I've done

Savage Trap Underground Sea Map
Agony Roost Vault Map
Arid Secrets Lava Lake Map
mod list images

Tree

the tree

We get Blowback & Cooked Alive on our cluster jewel for the ignite chance they provide. Our regular jewels aim to provide life, ignite duration, fire damage, and fire damage over time multiplier.

Our timeless jewel is a Balbala (Traitor keystrone) Brutal Restraint placed in the templar socket. Ideally it grants us onslaught and as much dexterity as possible.

If you push to level 100, I recommend putting the last 7 points into more life and jewels.

pvp
if someone is in your party in a zone where they can be damaged, ask them something. get em typing something nice and long that they won't want to delete. ping them on discord. ring their mobile. knock on their door. do anything to get them to stop focusing on their character for a moment and pop vaal breach on top of them.

most characters aren't set up to handle going afk in a breach. the results are predictable.

my kill count so far is 4. seems to work best right after doing a boss carry since people especially don't expect the arena of bosses to suddenly fill with enemies after all the animations/voicelines are done playing. the labyrinth treasure room on top of the divine font when people are picking which gem to transfigure is an especially devastating place to pull this off, though I have yet to convince people to do lab with me.

mathil style build compendium
big list of other builds in case you're interested in what I've done in the past. not all have guides, but I try to at least note down what all I played
Dernière édition par OxidisedGearz, le 5 janv. 2024 20:00:52
Dernier bump le 1 févr. 2024 15:24:00
Ce post contient des objets qui sont actuellement indisponibles.
upgrades made since posting

mageblood for more flask effect

still need traitor to charge up soul ripper though

mb also lets me run these two for some MFing action

+1 endurance corruption on my boots

I'm also experimenting with guardians blessing for my malevolence instead of divine blessing which you can see in the links.

chaos res & endurance charge when hit on jewel
bonus ele reflect immunity to not have to reroll map mods

phys taken as fire watchers eye + dot multi

vermillion ring with dot multi suffix

crafting procedure

1) get an unsplit vermillion ring
2) scour
3) catalyst
4) bless
5) essence of delirium until t1 life
5a) if it has 6 mods: annul
5b) if you annulled off life or dot multi, go back to step 4
6) fenumal plagued arachnid beast craft split
6a) pray. depending on how many mods the ring had pre-split, you've got different odds at success. mine was a 1/3.
6b) on a failure, craft some random resistances and life on both halves to resell them. since they're catalysted they should sell well enough. go to step 1.
7) divine the rolls to something you're happy with
8) enchant

double corrupted cloak of flame

youll also note that I've swapped to RF for mapping to really go hands off. I still keep flameblast + infused channel in my fanny pack just in case its a no regen/reduced recovery map and prefer flameblast for bossing.

guardian's blessing worked well, so I dropped reduced mana cost on my ruby flask and went for curse immunity instead.

hit level 100 by doing chayula rotations & blight ravaged maps. specced out all my hanging life nodes, jewels, and cluster jewel notables. this also means all my gems levelled up with me. only upgrades left would be to recraft the gloves with more chaos res & life, get the 400 div charms, and corrupt all my gems/uniques, but I've already got 40/40 challenges with this guy, so think I'm done playing em. will liquidate eventually or hand off the build to a friend.

i also vaaled my mageblood as a sendoff and got crit chance, which is a downgrade since we lose strength (life) for no meaningful benefit

finished with the build I think, so here's my final pob. Took me to 40/40 challenges

To use in 3.24, you won't have charms. In our case, our charms were defensive, granting a bit of aoe on the side. The new ruby flask will cover much of the lost max res. We'll be less tanky, but the build will still work just fine.
Dernière édition par OxidisedGearz, le 28 mars 2024 21:29:51
This sounds really cool! Do you happen to have any video of the gameplay?
"
This sounds really cool! Do you happen to have any video of the gameplay?

My build guide video has a bit of gameplay in it of a strand map & breach + expedition content, but it's pretty cut up...

tuna's longer 30 minute guide has some cut up footage of the build in delirium rituals. You can also check out his stream vods for the uncut content. His version is a lot less tanky but has MF stats and is a bit faster/more consistent.

If you want me in particular to get some just random full mapping or bossing footage, I can look into recording + uploading that too, but it's not out there right now. Also probably not going to try recording a clean uber bossing attempt since, while proven possible, the build's not exactly good at it. Feels like advertising that would just be bait; would rather leave it as "you can do regular bosses" and let people try ubers on their own if theyre feeling especially skilled.
Dernière édition par OxidisedGearz, le 21 déc. 2023 20:03:43
Hi, where is the Vaal breach gem socketed in the last pob updated?
"
Hi, where is the Vaal breach gem socketed in the last pob updated?

Gloves

When bossing you move it from the gloves to the ring

Signaler

Compte à signaler :

Type de signalement

Infos supplémentaires